Called "the balcony of the Duero" for the incredible views it has from practically any point of the village, it was declared a historical-artistic site in 1974.
Located in the region of Sayago, the village of Fermoselle is framed in the tortuous and spectacular topography of Douro Arribes. Called "the balcony of the Douro" for the incredible views it has from practically any point of the town, it was declared a historical-artistic site in 1974, being, nowadays, a reference tourist destination.
Its history started more than two millennia ago, in the pre-Roman period, of which traces of Celtic times are still preserved. Belonging to Zamora from 1205, when which Alfonso IX de León issued his concession, thanks to its border character and its privileged situation on the Douro River, Fermoselle enjoyed many monarchical privileges until it definitively passed to belong to the province of Zamora.
Today, it has traditional buildings and a unique urban layout of steep streets that, in certain areas, becomes a labyrinth of architectural nobility. Its historic city center takes you to the Middle Ages thanks to its granite and stone houses, its small and steep stairs and its religious heritage.
A natural paradise in which you can get lost in its hiking routes, its stepped terraces where neighbors have their gardens and vineyards, its fantastic viewpoints to the Arribes and all that historical, natural and religious culture that seems to surround Fermoselle
Its Fiestas in honour of Saint Agustin are also famous in which bullfights are held (dating from 1523) across its winding and narrow streets.
A unique and privileged place from which you can enjoy all kinds of entertainment as well as tasting its exquisite Sayago meat and its wine from D.O. Arribes.
It is a Romanesque hermitage of the 13th century that preserves a door with curious modillions in the form of human head and that gives access to the cemetery of the village. Stone crossings belonging to an ancient Via Crucis are preserved next to it.
Santa Colomba Church.
It is located in the upper area of the village and it was built in the 12th century in Romanesque style with a small belfry. Inside it can found the Christ of the Humilladero of the 11th century.
Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion Church.
It is a Romanesque church from the 12th and 13th centuries that preserves its south Wall and its faÇades. Latin-cross plan of a single nave and a bell tower of five structures. Inside it houses the sculpture of La Asuncion and the crucifix of the Agony, as well as an articulated reclining Christ and an organ. It is an Artistic Historical Monument.
San Francisco Monastery.
Monastery built on a Romanesque hermitage from the 12th century of which we can still see the walls, corbels and an original mullioned window. It is a building of a single nave with cruciform plan to which the U-shaped monastery with a cloister inside was placed against . Inside we can see the Christ of Santa Colomba.
For some years, it has housed the Casa del Parque of Douro Arribes where you can learn about the history and interesting information about the Arribes. Interpretation Center.
Santo Cristo del Pino Hermitage (Santa Cruz).
It is a simple hermitage of Visigothic and Mozarabic styles where the pilgrimage of Pentecost Monday is celebrated surrounded by a truly beautiful environment. It is the one closest to the Portuguese border and the one that is in the most beautiful environment, since it is surrounded by vineyards and olive trees. It has spectacular views of the Arribes. You can walk because it is very close to Fermoselle.
Nuestra Señora de la Merced Hermitage (San Albin).
It is a Romanesque church from the 10th century whose name is believed to come from a converted Moor who was martyred. A pilgrimage is celebrated on it on Easter Tuesday.
One of the most important and longest streets of Fermoselle that joins the Hermitage of San Albín with the Main Square and the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion. We can see there several subterranean cellars, the arch of a wall gate, the House of Culture, a calvary of the Via Crucis and several pieces of rock on which the village is sat.
La Nogal Street.
Located in the neighborhood of Palombreras, it goes to the Old Square through a huge slope, wide and with stairs in one part and narrow in the other. There are several subterranean cellars and its entrance has a semicircular arch, the foundation of the surrounding houses.
El Guapo Street or Cuesta del Seco.
Turrning to Amargura Street that goes to Church Square, it is a small cobbled street quite narrow and steep with stone houses on both sides.
Located at the foot of the old castle, it has an irregular plan, completely paved and surrounded by low buildings with arcades and porticos. There, we can visit the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion, the Town Hall and the House of the Arches, seat of the tourist office.
Spread throughout the village, they have been dug into the rock forming an underground labyrinth. They are connected to each other and practically every house has one, surpassing 1000 cellars.
Unfortunately, only the pointed arch of Requejo Street, which was the entrance to the village in ancient times, is preserved. It is located under the oldest house in Fermoselle.
It is located on the corner of Tenerias Street and Paseo La Ronda, going up to the historic city center. It is the well of the castle of Fermoselle whose waters come from a small spring. It dates from the 12th century.
It is a beautiful two-storey building with balconies of semicircular archs, a wrought iron balustrade, a tower with the clock and the shield of the village and a beautiful campanile.
Viacrucis (between Main Square and the Casa del parque).
Throughout the town we can enjoy several calvaries belonging to the ancient Via Crucis.